shutterstock Resources

"We are grateful for the opportunity to serve the needs of our community."
     - The Woodworth Family and Employees -


You have questions... We have answers.

Q – What are the differences between Medicaid and Medicare and how do you qualify for payments in the facility?  Are there other ways to fund care? 

A – Medicare is a federally financed health program that can pay up to 100 days per spell of illness if needed for skilled nursing home care.  To qualify you must have spent (3) midnights in the hospital, have a Medicare card, a need for skilled care and a Doctor’s order for the skilled care needed.
Medicaid is financed by both State and Federal government.  This is a long term health program, which is aimed at those clients who need long term care on a long term basis and who meet financial limits for assistance with payments.
The Veterans Administration may have financial help available for qualifying veterans, and long term care insurance is an excellent avenue for funding care and preserving family income.

Q – Can a person be admitted for short periods of time?

A – Yes, a person can be admitted on a short term basis for less than 30 days.  Most charges are billed on a fixed daily rate. Respite care is also available through Hospice companies if space allows.

Q – Do you accept private insurance for long term care?

A – Yes, Woodworth Health Care accepts all forms of long term insurances, including both Medicare and Medicaid.  Simply bring your health membership cards when you inquire and we will be happy to check your qualifications.

Q – May a person use his or her personal physician?

A – Yes we encourage the use of personal physicians. They know the needs of their patients better than anyone. In most cases the physician must be local.

Q – How are medications received and paid for in the facility?  May we use our regular pharmacy?

A – Woodworth Health Care utilizes a unit dose form of medication administration system through our local pharmacies: Bowen Pharmacy, Parsons Family Pharmacy, and Riggs Pharmacy.  Each of these pharmacies provide credit accounts for purchases, delivery services, and accept all Medicare D Plans and private insurance plans.  Woodworth Healthcare will call for initial prescriptions, reorders, changes, and assist with bill payment.

Q – What types of accommodations do you provide?  What does the patient need to provide?

A – Woodworth Health Care provides both private and semi-private rooms.  All rooms are fully furnished except for TV and telephone.  Although cable is paid by Woodworth Health Care, a personal phone is at the resident’s expense.  Clothing and other personal items are the responsibility of the resident.

Q – Do you provide special diets as ordered by a physician?

A – Yes.  Our menus are prepared and approved by Registered Dieticians to provide a well balanced diet and special ordered diets.  Snacks, special requests, and resident choice meals are provided during the month, along with soup/salad bar and special breakfasts.

Q – Do you have visiting hours, and can a patient come and go with the family?

A – While Woodworth Health Care does not have set visiting hours, we do request that consideration be paid for other residents in semi-private rooms.  Many of our elderly residents retire early in the evening, sometimes as early as 7:00pm.  All resident’s rights must be observed equally.  And yes, residents have the right to go with authorized family members on request.  The facility should have prior notice so early meal service or medications needed may be accommodated.

Q – My parents own their home; will they lose it or have to sell it if one enters a nursing home?

A – A home is not in jeopardy unless Medicaid financial assistance is being utilized.  If one spouse is still living at home, there is no issue with the home at all; only if both enter the facility.  The home may also be exempt if the resident plans to return home and the nursing home stay is not permanent.  There are cases where the State may place a lien on the home upon the death of a nursing home client, but that would need legal opinions to settle that option.

Q – How does long term care insurance work and who should buy it and when?

A – Long term care insurance is an excellent avenue to use for help in paying long term care bills in the future, preserving family assets for inheritance, and making sure that funding is available for the level of care desired should the need occur.  There are no guarantees that programs such as Medicare and Medicaid will provide needed funding for the future.  The amount of insurance purchased should be based on the future income levels and ability to pay, and of course, the longer you wait and the older you become, the more expensive the insurance.  Woodworth Health Care has information on all Kansas approved long term care policies and rates available on request.  Stop in and see us.

Q – Will Medicare pay for my nursing home stay if I become ill?

A – Medicare is an acute care health insurance designed to pay for the hospital and physicians on a short term basis.  Medicare should cover approximately 80% of the expenses incurred.  For a qualifying stay, it will also cover up to 100 days of skilled nursing care after a hospital stay, if needed.  The staff at Woodworth Health Care will be happy to answer all questions related to Medicare and can qualify a Medicare stay even before the client leaves the hospital.

Q – Is your nursing home safe?  How do we know if yours is a good home?

A – All Kansas nursing centers undergo unannounced State inspections from the Department of Aging, Kansas Fire Marshal, Kansas Ombudsman, Kansas Health and Environment and OSHA.  These inspections are then given to CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) and all homes are rated on a 5 Star scoring basis.  Only homes receiving 3 to 5 Stars should be considered for placement of your loved ones.  Currently Woodworth Health Care Nursing Centers are 4 Star facilities.  We have Wander Guard code alerts at all exits to secure the facility and prevent elopement.

Q – What is necessary to be admitted?

A – Simply stop by our office and speak to our social services staff for admission information.  It is normally a quick, easy task and a good opportunity to ask questions plus receive all information needed for admission.  The entire interview can be completed in as little as 20 minutes.  Doctor’s orders for admission are a must, along with a State Care Assessment.  Both of these mandates may possibly be completed prior to, or the same day of admission.  Feel free to contact your local Area Agency on Aging (800)794-2440.

Q – Can you have a telephone and TV?

A – Televisions and telephones are allowed.  In fact, our facilities provide basic cable.  Telephone service is available at the resident’s expense.

Q – Can you bring your own furniture when admitted?

A – The rooms are completely furnished and decorated, but arrangements may be made for certain items to be used, i.e. recliners, lift chairs, TV’s, radios, lamps, pictures, etc.  We want the residents to be as comfortable as possible in their new home.

Q – What kind of food do you serve?  Is it good?

A – We think you will give our food service an excellent rating.  We survey residents and families all through the year and always receive high marks on food and service.  The china, tablecloths, stemware, cloth napkins, chargers and centerpieces give the dining room that fine restaurant flair.  Great food and menus, daily desert carts, soup/salad bar, special breakfasts, and great quality have all earned us State awards in 2008 for our dining experience.  Family is always welcome to join us for meals at a price anyone can afford.  Advanced notice is always appreciated.  We’ll even set up a private dining area for residents and their guests.

Care Assessment

Before admission to a Kansas Nursing facility, a “care assessment” must be completed by the Area Agency on Aging. If the person is being admitted from the hospital, the assessment will be done by their social worker.  Admissions from the home must call (800) 794-2440 and schedule the assessment.  Nursing homes must have the certification on admission.  Care assessments are good for one year.

An assessment is completed on admission. Levels are based on need of care: feeding, continence, positioning, transfers, elopement risk and oxygen.  These Levels of Care assessments will be re-evaluated as deemed necessary using the MDS and Care Plans as health care needs occur or decline.

Financial assistance through Medicaid is available through the Parsons SRS Office (620) 421-4500.

Medicaid residents are allowed 18 at-home overnight stays and 10 hospital stays, beyond that the facility will rent the bed to the first applicant that would qualify, unless the family wants to hold the bed at the assessed rate.

In the event a private pay resident enters the hospital or leaves the facility, their daily rate continues unless the facility is notified, that they do not wish to hold the bed at the time the resident leaves. 

Skilled beds are also available.  To qualify for Medicare skilled care, a person needs to have been hospitalized for 3 midnights prior to admission to our facility.  The physician would need to write an order for skilled care and an evaluation is to be done by the staff or therapists.  If the resident qualifies, therapy will begin and will be paid for by Medicare, including room, board and medications, as long as therapy is ordered and/or the resident improves with therapy.

If you are a veteran or have been married to a veteran, please inquire about benefits for nursing home residents.

The resident will need a local physician or current physician with orders for medications, diagnosis, lab work and diet.

Additional Resources to Assist You

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Kansas Department on Aging
American Diabetes Association 
Alzheimer's Foundation of America